Nine’s radio stations dominate NRL and AFL coverage
Nine’s radio stations continue to dominate the competitive world of sports broadcasting, as outright market leaders in Sydney and Melbourne for their coverage of NRL and AFL.
Reflecting on the Gfk Survey 3 ratings – which show 2GB and 3AW dominating every timeslot – Nine’s Head of Content Greg Byrnes says “These are stunning results right across our footy coverage.”
In Sydney, The Continuous Call Team is clear number 1 for NRL coverage:
* Across all weekend shifts combined (Fri 7pm-11pm, Sat 1pm-10pm, Sun 1pm-7pm), 2GB has a 9.2 share, ahead of ABC (5.8), Triple M (4.7) and SEN (0.4).
* On Friday nights 2GB averages a 15.1 share, streaks in front of ABC (7.4), Triple M (3.7) and SEN (0.1).
* On Saturdays 2GB averages an 8.2 share, leading ABC (6.4), Triple M (5.3) and SEN (0.4).
* On Sundays 2GB averages a 9.0 share, well ahead of ABC (4.7), Triple M (4.2) and SEN (0.5).
In Melbourne, 3AW Football is a comprehensive timeslot winner across all shifts:
* On Friday nights 3AW averages an 11.1 share, ahead of ABC (6.9), Triple M (6.2) and SEN (4.3).
* On Saturday afternoons 3AW leads with a 7.9 share, in front of Triple M (6.9), ABC (3.7) and SEN (3.3).
* On Saturday evenings 3AW averages a 9.8 share, well ahead of ABC (6.8), Triple M (4.9) and SEN (4.1).
* On Sunday early afternoon (12pm-2pm) 3AW averages a 10.2 share, doubling its nearest sports competitor Triple M (5.1) and well ahead of ABC (4.9) and SEN (3.8).
* On Sunday late afternoon (2pm-7pm) 3AW records a 7.8 share, in front of Triple M (6.8), ABC (4.2) and SEN (3.1).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings Survey 3 2022, Market Share %, 2GB Sydney Fri 7pm-11pm, Sat 1pm-10pm, Sun 1pm-7pm, 3AW Melbourne Fri 6-11pm, Sat 12-11pm, Sun 2-7pm, AP10+, unless otherwise specified.