The Top Hot New Talent 2015
Great talent is the lifeblood of the radio industry and it’s that time of year again, when Radio Today looks at who the best up and coming talent in radio are.
Thanks for your emails and suggestions over the past year on who should be included.
Most of 2015’s names have been in radio for only a few years or less, and have what it takes to go a long way.
There are a few names who appeared last year who just missed out making it again, like Tommy Jacket, Nova’s Nath Valvo and Amber Wheatland StarFM .
Some from previous years have gone on to bigger and better things, like Tommy Little, Dan Anstey and Angus O’Loughlin.
This year they have a range of backgrounds, coming from metro and regional radio, comedy, community radio, podcasting and television.
We look forward to your comments and suggestions on who else could have made it and anyone we should look out for in the future.
Everyone this year has the talent to be big radio stars. They are going places. They are the radio stars of the future. Watch out for them….
Here they are …Radio Todays Top Hot New Talent for 2015 (in no particular order)
1. Kristie Mercer – now appears on SeaFM Central Coast with Byron Cooke. She was formerly at Star FM in Albury. She is one half of podcaster duo The Thinkergirls. Kristie is renowned for famous content topics such as “ Where the f*ck has my period gone?”. Kristie is also a blogger, freelance writer and you can check out her site at kristiemercer.com
2. Ross Wallman – is now on the Gold Coast anchoring SEA FM breakfast. He was previously breakfast co host at SCA’s 92.9 Perth. He’s a former host of The Bump, and is a regular on The Project. You’ll find him on Instagram.
3. Kel Wolfe – can be heard across the day on 3SRFM Shepperton. Kel is from Melbourne and also does weeknight appearances on Southern Cross Ten’s “Weeknights”, which you can check out here.
4. Jaben Ryan – originally from Adelaide, Jaben has worked at Nova Adelaide, and for the past 12 months has been at Nova Sydney. He’s the new host of Nova's Fresh 40 show which runs Saturdays 3 to 6pm.
* was on the 2014’s Top New Talent to watch.
5. Rebecca Lee – Now at HOTFM Townsville. Bec moved from KRock breakfast in Geelong and is now doing breakfast in Townsville, teaming up with Guy 'Cliffo' Clifton. Check her out on Spot’d.
* was on last years Top New Talent list
6. Hayley Morcom – Was on breakfast at Southern Cross Austereo’s 104.9 Star FM Albury. Harley is also a freelance writer and Personal trainer. You can check out her website.
7. Tom & Olly – One of the best new breakfast shows of this year. Melbourne stand up comics Tom Bainbridge and Oliver Morris are both in their early 20’s, previously were at SYN Media and now host Star FM Albury’s Breakfast show. We can expect to hear a lot more from these guys in the future. Here is Tom & Olly's website.
8. Simon Takla – An AFTRS graduate, Simon is now Star FM Shepparton’s new breakfast anchor, co-hosting with Stacey June. Simon has experience presenting on SYN and on TV with Channel 31. Simon's on Twitter.
9. Ashleigh Blucher – Power FM. Less than a year into her first radio job, the talented Ashleigh from Bega’s Power FM picked up an ACRA award for Best Newcomer. Ashleigh’s on Twitter.
10. Amos Gill – works with Dani Pola on Adelaide’s Hit107 breakfast show. Amos is a comedian, actor and a law school drop out. A huge future ahead of him, he was one of the top comedians who could be future stars of radio. Was a finalist of Triple J’s Raw Comedy Competition.
11. Cat Lynch – currently doing casuals at Adelaides Hit107. She has worked at Nova previously and has been Asst Music Director. Creative and real, she is one to watch out for. Cat’s on Twitter at @CatLynch
12. Elliott Lovejoy – now heard on HOTFM Cairns. He’s worked at community station 98.7BBM, 2HILLFM Broken Hill and Magic 931 Berri. Elliot is one to keep an eye on. Check him out on facebook.
13. Daniel Gawnd – hosts a new show Saturday mornings ‘ Browny, Ange & Gawndy ’ on Nova 106.9 . Previously Daniel was part of Nova duo Gawndy & Bree. Here’s a link to the new show.
*last year was on the Top new talent list with Bree.
14. Marty Smiley – is the new host of Authentic Entertainments new show The Drop which can be heard on the Today Hit Network. Marty is also a presenter on Channel V and follows in the footsteps of Andy G and James Mathison. You’ll find him on Twitter.
15. Gosia Rakiej – Light FM. Gosia is from Melbourne, and got her break at Light FM when breakfast host Lucy Holmes went on maternity leave. She was teamed up for 6-months with breakfast co-host Kel McWilliam (ex NXFM, Fox FM) and has great potential. Hear Gosia on Soundcloud.
16. Ilaria Brophy – is now co hosting breakfast at HOTFM Cairns. She has previously worked at Darwin's Hot 100 and Mix 104.9 .You can see Laria on You Tube.
17. Caitlin McCormack – Caitlin is a 2014 AFTRS graduate and is now at SEA FM Hobart on afternoons. She was previously on Albury’s StarFM and has also appeared on Joy 94.9.
18. Tim Wong See – Tim is back at Nova after doing weekends at ARN’s Kiis106.5 for a short while. He’s now doing National late nights after Smallzy's Surgery on NOVA. Tim is a 2013 AFTRS graduate. You’ll find him on facebook. *appeared on last years Top New Talent list
19. English Chris – Can now be heard on Adelaide’s Hit 107. Chris Hutchings has worked in community radio in Sydney and in the past has been a casual at SEAFM Gold Coast & Central Coast, 2dayFM and ZZZ Lismore. Hear Chris at Tunein.
20. Sam & Dom – Now doing weekend breakfast at B105 Brisbane. This young duo started doing comedy at High School and have performed at two Brisbane Comedy Festivals. They’ve also worked at 96five and are part of the comedy group Collective Noun. Here’s their intro video on You Tube. * appeared on last years New Talent list.
21. Ben Erbsland – Ben is now part of the on air team at Kiis101.1. He was previously on breakfast at Star 104.9 in Albury. Hot FM in Mackay and before that floated at Nova Adelaide. Ben’s on Twitter.
22. Anakin Skyrocker – now at Triple M Brisbane. Anakin aka Brendan, from the lush valleys of Alderaan started on Triple M Saturday nights and can be heard on weekday afternoons. A real natural. Anakin’s on Triple M’s website.
23. Ben Jenkins & Michael Hing – Ben is from the Chasers ABC show Media Circus, Michael a stand up comedian. Their podcast series Free To A Good Home is at iTunes.
24. Ryan Jon – Currently doing breakfast with ‘Rosie’ on HOTFM WA. Ryan has worked in Mildura and HOTFM Toowoomba. Ryan is on Twitter and you’ll find his blog Ryan Jon. * appeared on last years Top New Talent list.
Good luck to all the Talent from this year. You will no doubt be hearing a lot more from all of them. And let us know any names we might have missed. Look forward to your comments.
Brad March is a Director of Radio Today, is a former CEO of Austereo and has been named Media Executive of the Year. He’s Director of Marchmedia and Pacific Retail Management.