Survey finds Spotify the preferred platform for next generation of podcast listeners
Spotify has been identified as the preferred platform for the next generation of podcast listeners, in a new survey by Equity Mates Media.
The finance and investing podcast network has released results of its 2022 Listener Survey, offering a snapshot of how young Australians are engaging with the home of some of their favourite finance podcasts.
The Equity Mates team asked: Where do you mostly listen to your podcasts?
Of the 1,537 responses, 1,067 were from Australians under the age of 35. These respondents are overwhelmingly listening on Spotify:
- 64% of respondents under 35 are listening on Spotify
- 29% are listening on Apple Podcasts
- 3% are listening on Google Podcasts
- 1% are listening on Overcast
The remaining 3% of responses were spread across the long tail of podcast apps: Stitcher, Amazon Music,
Pocketcasts, YouTube, Castbox, Podbean and Podcast Addict.
The remaining 470 responses were from Australians aged 35 and over. These respondents still prefer Apple Podcasts over Spotify:
- 42% of respondents aged 35 and over are listening on Apple Podcasts
- 39% are listening on Spotify
- 8% are listening on Google Podcasts
- 2% are listening on Overcast
The remaining 9% of responses are distributed down that long tail of podcast apps.
Comparing Apple Podcasts v Spotify across age distributions and this trend becomes even more stark.
- Under 25: 77% Spotify / 20% Apple / 3% remainder
- 26 – 34: 58% Spotify / 32% Apple / 10% remainder
- 35 – 44: 43% Spotify / 39% Apple / 18% remainder
- 45 – 59: 32% Spotify / 50% Apple / 18% remainder
- 60 and over: 21% Spotify / 43% Apple / 36% remainder
The podcast network says the results show a clear trend: Young people are choosing Spotify over Apple, but also choosing Spotify over smaller podcast apps.