Jon Faine to depart ABC Melbourne Mornings after 23 years
Jon Faine has confirmed that he’ll depart his ABC Melbourne Mornings show at the end of 2019.
The news wasn’t exactly a secret, with Jon revealing the news in September last year during a chat with Shaun Micallef.
Faine joined the ABC 30 years ago for The Law Report, and for the last 23 has hosted ABC Melbourne Mornings.
“Now I find I am presenting the Mornings show on ABC Radio Melbourne for the twenty-third year but it will be my last,” he told listeners today.
“I have told the ABC that when my present contract expires, I do not seek another. [It’s] time for someone else to have as much fun as I have had.”
“It is rare for someone who does my gig to get to choose the timing of their departure instead of having it chosen for them.
“I never expected to be in this privileged role for anything like as long as I have been, and change is not something to be afraid of.”
ABC Melbourne then confirmed the news on social media.
Long-time Mornings host Jon Faine has announced that this year will be his last on @abcmelbourne.
"It's time for someone else to have as much fun as I have had".
— ABC Melbourne (@abcmelbourne) January 20, 2019
“Jon is more than just a broadcaster to both his ABC colleagues and his audience,” added ABC Melbourne manager Dina Rosendorff in a statement.
“He has been a mentor and leader to many of his colleagues over his 23 years behind the mic as well as a trusted and reliable source of information and analysis on issues that affect all Victorians.
“He still has a year of reporting on our community and talking to the people who shape it.
“We will certainly be making the most of his skills in the coming year as we cover the 10th anniversary of the Black Saturday fires and a Federal Election.”
Catch up on this morning’s show in full here.