Aussies win big in LA
The Worldwide Radio Awards were held in Los Angeles at the weekend, and in the international category Australia punched well above our weight. From an eclectic list of finalists, in the international category, the Australian winners were:
- (Southern Cross) Austereo best network.
- Guy Dobson won best program director. (We don't get it either. Certainly Guy was a fantastic programmer, but how someone who hasn't programmed for four or five years wins the award seems bizarre, nonetheless well done to Guy!).
- Triple J's Richard Kingsmill won best music director.
- Best Radio Personality was won by SCA's Byron Cooke.
- Triple J won best online presence.
- Triple J also won most innovative radio station.
- Absolute Dowse won international consultant of the year
- EMI Australia won best international label.
- Liberation won best indie.
- Sony Music's Denis Handlin won major label executive of the year.
- Sebastian Chase from MGM won indie label exec of the year.
Great result for the Aussies, congratulations to everyone!