Confirmed: Jones signs new two-year 2GB deal
With time on Alan Jones’ 2GB contract swiftly running out, Macquarie Media has confirmed a new deal with the veteran broadcaster.
Jones will continue to host 2GB and 4BC Breakfast, with his new contract to begin from July 1.
“Over his already extraordinary radio career, Alan has dominated Sydney radio with 218 ratings survey wins, including 15 consecutive years at Number 1 on 2GB – an unprecedented achievement,” said MML chairman Russell Tate.
“And with Alan’s current ratings share of the Sydney radio audience amongst the highest it has ever been, his dominance shows no sign of slowing down.
“All of us at Macquarie are delighted that we will continue along for the ride with one of the Australian media’s most outstanding performers.”
The Australian reports deal was reportedly masterminded by Macquarie shareholder John Singleton, and would take Jones through to his 80th birthday in 2021.
‘Singo’ has recently reported to have acted as an intermediary between Jones and Macquarie Media CEO Adam Lang, due to a break down in their relationship.
The exact terms of the deal are not yet known.
Earlier this month News Corp reported that the veteran broadcaster was offered a deal worth half his current deal, following a series of issues stemming from Jones’ on-air conduct.
Facilitating the potential new deal for Jones could be Singo’s last act before he sells his 32.4% stake in Macquarie Media.
In March he revealed it was not his intention to remain a minority shareholder, following Nine’s purchase of Fairfax Media last year.
“I am not a great minority shareholder. I would rather have things myself,” said Singleton.
This story was updated on May 28 when Macquarie confirmed the deal.