Anatomy of A Winning Radio Promotion
Z90 San Diego luamched an incredible promotion called Epic 48. The promotion promised an Epic 48 hours for a winner and their guest, but didn’t reveal what would happen until it was experienced. It’s also a prime example of the anatomy of a winning radio promotion.
This was one of the most creative, well run and meticulously planned promotions I’ve ever seen. Not only were there a lot of moving parts, it was imagined with a different approach from most radio giveaways.
The hook to the audience was mysterious, but simple:
1) They had to be ready to leave at a moment’s notice.
2) They must be prepared to go anywhere.
3) And be willing to do anything.
The promise: An unforgettable weekend you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
To win, listeners completed an online application to be chosen at www.epic48hours.com. Setting up a separate site for the promotion gave it a sense of bigness, made it easier for entrants find the content and it serves as a launching pad for the next Epic 48 promotion.
On the day the campaign paid off, a Friday morning, suspense had built to a fever pitch, with thousands of listeners wondering if they would be visited by morning personality Rick Morton, and co-hosts Edina and D-Rock. The show would surprise the winner, and their adventure would begin immediately.
The adventure began at the work place of Melissa, who, along with her friend Jamie immediately boarded a Limo-Bus and Epic 48 Hours began.
They still had no idea what the next 48 hours had in store:
Day 1: Friday:
- Stop at Disneyland Park for a quick front-of-the-line ride on the new Star Wars Space Mountain ride.
- Dinner at the famous PUMP restaurant, with Lisa Vanderpump and Lance Bass from *NSync
- Then, pop star Nick Jonas popped into their limousine to give them his courtside Los Angeles Lakers tickets for that night’s game, with official, personalized team jerseys.
- VIP table at OHM Nightclub, above the Kodak Theater in Hollywood.
- Spend the rest of the night in a corner suite at the famous Hollywood Roosevelt hotel.
Day 2: Saturday
- Private plane flight to to Las Vegas
- Private visit with DJ Mustardin his recording studio to hear new, never-before-heard tracks from his forthcoming album.
- Planet Hollywood luxury hotel room with view of the Las Vegas Strip.
- $1000 shopping spree at Miracle Mile Shops
- Private styling (hair and make up) by Glam Squad.
- VIP soundcheck with X-Ambassadors at The Foundry, with a guitar signed by the band.
- Sunset ride in a private car on the High Roller Ferris wheel at the LinQ Hotel & Casino.
- 5-Star dinner in private dining room at BLT Steakhouse.
- Private backstage meeting withPitbull
- Floor tickets to Pitfall’s concert.
- After the show, Pitfall presents them with a $1,000 chip to play roulette and “bet on black, to match my suit!”
- VIP entry to OMNIA Nightclub at Cesear’s Palace.
Day 3: Sunday
- Sunday morning full body massage at Spa by Mandera
- Private plane to San Diego
Listeners heard the story unfold on the air and via social media all weekend long.
But here’s what made this promotion special: The buzz happened after the contest took place.
The station hired a camera crew to record every moment, and put together an amazing video that captured the moment and brought it home to the audience.
The mastermind of the promotion, Z90 Program Director R Dub summarized it perfectly:
“Morton came up with the idea, and then we all went to work. Normally, a radio station hypes the prize, and hopes to get listeners talking. With Epic 48, we wanted to build a franchise for our brand that could add suspense, expectation and anticipation. And the results blew us away.”
R Dub managed every detail, coordinating and leading a staff that went with the winners to insure everything came off perfectly for the winner.
I’ve never seen anything like this. It was exhausting, exhilarating and a career highlight. Truly, an Epic 48 Hours. And, wait ‘til you see the next one,”
Yeah, another one’s coming, and this time, there’ll be pre-event buzz that builds off the first Epic 48. Z90 is well on the way to a recurring event that will further help define their brand.