Alan Jones lands primetime TV gig after departing 2GB
Ain’t no rest for the wicked as broadcaster Alan Jones reveals his next move.
The controversial shock jock has extended his relationship with the News Corp-owned Sky News Australia. He will front a self-titled show four nights a week at 8pm from July 6.
He first appeared on Sky News in 2013 with Graham Richardson, and later with Peta Credlin.
Jones confirmed he would be “retiring from radio” at the end of May, on doctors’ orders, marking the end of a 35-year career behind the microphone.
During his final show on 2GB Sydney and 4BC Brisbane breakfast, Jones hinted that something new was to come after departing the station following 226 consecutive survey wins.
“It’s a privilege to be asked to work with such a strong and committed team,” Jones said.
“I am sure that through the engagement with my viewing audience, we will be able to make a difference. There are real issues facing Australians today. We will be addressing them.”
Sky News says Jones’ new program will “share his unique take on the events and issues facing the nation” and will “continue to back the battlers” who live in rural parts of the country.
Jones will also continue as a columnist with Sky News parent company News Corp where he writes for The Daily Telegraph and The Australian.
Jones aired a correction on May 21 after broadcasting “inaccurate comments” he made about climate change and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern last year.