2GB confirms Chris Smith’s departure

Assistant Editor
2GB

2GB has parted ways with Afternoons presenter Chris Smith.

In a statement on Tuesday (July 2), Macquarie Media confirmed that 2GB and Smith have ended their working relationship.

Smith will still go ahead with his pre-planned overseas trip, which will include a cruise from New York to London accompanied by about 100 his listeners.

He’ll finish up at 2GB on July 31, confirmed Macquarie.

“Neither 2GB nor Chris Smith will be making any further comment on the matter,” said the statement.

“We wish Chris well in his future endeavours. Chris would like to thank 2GB listeners for their ongoing support.”

The announcement follows reports over the last week that Smith’s relationship with 2GB had become strained, following speculation that he could be swapped with Steve Price on Nights.

Tuesday’s statement didn’t address whether Steve Price would be moved into the Afternoons slot.

Speaking on air last Tuesday, Smith said; “I am in discussion with management at the moment about my future and I really do hope to have some good news soon.”

Radio Today reached out to Chris Smith for further comment, but he did not respond in time for publication.

When asked about Steve Price’s future, a spokesperson for Macquarie said: “this is a work in progress and to be advised”.

A change.org petition for 2GB to keep Smith has almost 1,200 signatures at the time of writing.

Comment Form

Your email address will not be published.

Recent comments (24)
Post new comment
Vicki
2 Jul 2019 - 4:56 pm

That’s sad news as I will really miss you Chris

Neil Dee
2 Jul 2019 - 5:45 pm

Could this be part of a bigger picture…..Chris would do well on breakfast at 2UE if Mcquarie were to relaunch 954 as a competitive talk station.

Hussein K.
2 Jul 2019 - 7:59 pm

Macquarie media trashed 2UE now they’re trashing 2GB not like I care I stopped listening a decade ago

Neil Dee
2 Jul 2019 - 10:10 pm

Is this a part of the bigger picture? Chris would do really well on breakfast at 2UE if Macquarie relaunce 954.

JASON ANDREWN TOPPIN
3 Jul 2019 - 6:33 am

I FEEL THAT CHRIS SMITH QWILL BE AT CHANNEKL 7 IN SYDHEY WHIKE MERRICK WATTS IS A CANDUDATE FOR WEEKEND NIGHTS MERRICK CURREHNTLY FILLING FOR BEN FORDHAM ON DRIVE.

Marilyn Stuart
3 Jul 2019 - 8:49 am

You have made a terrible mistake by losing your most loyal and proficient presenter i.n Chris and those responsible should hang their heads in shame and apologise to your loyal listeners who for many years enjoyed and benefited by his show.I will continue to tune in for the morning sessions but will turn off at mid day and seek another venue.
Shame on you
Marilyn Stuart

Mrs Dawn Martin
3 Jul 2019 - 10:51 am

You have lost me as a listener Management a disgrace Price is hard and cold.

glynis willick
3 Jul 2019 - 10:52 am

it was good listening to Chris Smith where Alan & Ray can sometimes depress you Chris made the afternoons easy going .BIG MISTAKE GETTING RID OF CHRIS.

I Love Lamp
3 Jul 2019 - 11:59 am

“It’s something unpredictable….but in the end it’s right”

Julie
3 Jul 2019 - 12:09 pm

Chris Smith you will be sadly missed by all your listeners.

However if 2GB is looking for a night-time host, why would you go past Stanley, McLaren or Grant. All fantastic broadcasters who rate highly.

oops high ratings did not save Chris Smith.

Maria Andronicos-Zappia
3 Jul 2019 - 1:08 pm

Will miss Chris Smith. 2GB won’t be the same.

Anne Cook
3 Jul 2019 - 3:09 pm

Chris will sadly be missed by his 2GB listeners. He is a great presenter
why did you want him out of his Noon to 3pm slot?

Grant
3 Jul 2019 - 5:29 pm

It’s just succession planning for when Jones goes. Hadley into breakfast and Price into mornings. Done deal folks.

Dean
3 Jul 2019 - 10:54 pm

You are one of the best commentators on radio and tv. Hope you wasted the wanker Good luck
Your replacements are a joke

Elizabeth
3 Jul 2019 - 11:55 pm

Will miss you very much Chris
I enjoyed my lunch time break with you
2GB have made a huge mistake by letting you go
Wherever a door closes, there is always a window open
A window of opportunity far better for you
Maybe they have done you a favour.
Whoever made that stupid decision should be sacked
All the best to you and your family.
Liz x x

Alan Sockpuppet
4 Jul 2019 - 7:44 am

I just love how all the old dears are coming out of the woodwork and commenting as if this is 2BGs page. People reading here couldn’t care less if you listen to 2GB or not lovvies…

Brett
4 Jul 2019 - 8:53 am

Sorry Chris, you had to go, I could never listen to the vacuous commentary. Your a good fellow, really nice but you had no strong opinions, it was all fluff and terribly boring. Good luck Chris.

Mary
4 Jul 2019 - 2:39 pm

Alan Sock puppet
You will be an old dear someday!

Patricia Anderson
4 Jul 2019 - 3:10 pm

I will be listening to Alan Jones for breakfast and then moving radio stations for the rest of the day and night. I will follow Chris Smith to the next radio station he goes to. Alan Jones and Chris Smith plus the gardening show and the boys Sat and Sun morning are the only people to listen to and Michael overnight. The rest of the upfront radio team you would not bother feeding however they are obviously slithering like a snake to someone.

Leonie Ballantyne
4 Jul 2019 - 3:39 pm

2GB who??? I am disgusted with the treatment of Chris Smith by 2GB Management.
A long term follower and listener of Alan and Ray I’ll now be switching off 2GB in my house.
Lunchtime just won’t be the same without Chris.
Wishing you and your family all the best Chris, I’m sure other networks be it TV or radio will be lined up for your services.

Syd
5 Jul 2019 - 10:48 am

Nothing personal against Chris Smith, but I always found him to be the one presenter on 2GB that stood out as being the weakest link. I didn’t find him to be particularly strong or entertaining. Whilst the likes of Jones, Hadley and Fordham suck you in with their passion, Smith was more of a background voice. I wish him all the best in future and obviously it’s regrettable when anyone’s out of a gig, but I would point out that 2GB is parting ways with someone who was ‘okay-ish’ and certainly not a talkback titan.

sue
7 Jul 2019 - 7:22 am

Please dont get rid of Chris Smith… Our family love him. This is so sad.

JASON ANDREW TOPPIN
7 Jul 2019 - 2:54 pm

MERRICK WATTS LOOKS AS THOUGH AFTER TRWO FILL ON GIGIS AT 2GB WILL BE GIVEN STEVE [PRICE’S \NIGHTS SLOT TIM ROSS MAY ALSO BE AT 2GB REPLACING LUKE GRANT ON WEEKEND OVERNIGHTS

Paul Marsh
8 Jul 2019 - 12:46 pm

I hope they can turn things around & resolve the issue in order for Chris to stay on!

Jobs