Survey 3: ARN takes #1 FM in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane
The third survey result for 2014 has been released by GfK this morning.
Notably, ARN now have the #1 and #2 FM stations in both Melbourne and Sydney and the #1 FM station in Adelaide and Brisbane.
Here are the results…
Read the analysis:
WSFM has leapt into the #1 FM spot and was the station of the survey in Sydney.
- WSFM outright #1 FM, big jumps in all dayparts including breaky which is up 1.8 and now rating #1
- Mornings and evenings up 2.4, afternoons up 2, drive up 1.4
- Bit of a reset for KIIS, down by 1.1, and down 2.5 in 25-39, although still #1 in that demo. Breaky is #2 FM behind WSFM, but a long way ahead of the other FM stations.
- Losses for KIIS across all dayparts – mornings down 1.1, arvos down 1.6
- 2DayFM up by half a point, they'd be pleased; but brekky down again by 0.5 to a 3.6, well beneath station average. Small increases in 2Day mornings, arvos and drive
- Triple M up 0.9 overall with solid increases in all dayparts; breaky up a point
- Nova back a touch, with breaky taking a 0.8 haircut and drive down 1.7 now behind KIIS drive. Still comfortably #3 FM.
- Not a great smoothfm result, down 0.8. Down in every demo except 10-17 and 65+ with the workday copping a whack.
- 2GB fairly flat, but solid as a rock. Drive up 1.1
- 2CH down a point, breaky and drive fairly flat but a 1.5 dip in mornings and down 1.8 in afternoons
- 2UE just keeps getting worse, setting another record low share for the station.
- Down 0.4% overall, with mornings now out-rated by ABC Classic FM.
- triple J fairly flat, up 0.3 but down 1.3 in the 18-24 demo
- ABC Classic FM super flat
3AW is back to #1 overall and FOUR FM stations are on 6.9 overall – Fox, Nova, smooth, MMM – probably first time ever we've had four on the same figure. Mix move into #1 FM breaky, while both the new breaky FM shows (Nova and Fox) fell.
- Gold is again the outright #1 FM station with an 8.8 share
- An increase of 0.6 in breaky means they leapfrog Fox to take #3 FM breaky
- Gold almost doubled their 18-24 audience, up to 8.6
- Mix up 0.9 in breakfast to overtake Triple M and Fox and claim #1 FM breaky on 7.5
- Overall the #2 FM station in Melbourne
- Nova’s breakfast is down 0.9 and plummeted to #5
- Overall share is 6.9 – the same as Fox, MMM and sister station smoothfm
- A fairly flat survey for smooth – up half a point in breaky, full point in drive
- Lost a point in 25-39 but still #1 in that demo
- Biggest gain was 2.2 in the 40-54 demo
- MMM up a smidge to 6.9; Fox down a smidge to 6.9
- Fox down 1.5 in 25-39 and is fifth in that demo
- Down 0.6 in breaky, mornings and arvos; #4 FM breaky
- MMM fairly flat across all dayparts
- Second in the 25-39 demo (behind Nova)
- 3AW has gained a point and returned to the #1 overall spot after being knocked off by ABC774 last survey
- The station has recovered from a bad survey two and is up 1.3 in mornings and 1.2 in drive
- Magic lost 1.2 overall; up 1.2 in 40-54
- SEN up 0.7 with small increases across all dayparts
- ABC 774 improved overall share by 0.6, but were leapfrogged by 3AW. Still #2 overall for ABC 774 which is pretty good.
- Breakfast up 0.7
- Triple J down half a point; down 2.9 in 18-24 but still third in that demo
A great 97.3 result, up by 1.3 to be a clear #1 overall and #1 FM brekky. ABC took the #1 breaky overall while 4KQ and 4BC copped a whack overall with big declines across the board on both stations.
- 97.3 have increased their lead over Nova with a 1.3 increase, they sit on 13.9 and are 1.1 ahead.
- Breaky is #1 FM and up a point, up 2.1 in arvos and 2.2 in drive
- A disappointing result for 4KQ, down 1.2, solid losses from breaky through to drive
- Still #2 behind 97.3 with up 3 in 18-24 to take #1 in that demo, also #1 in 25-39
- Lost #1 breaky to the ABC and slipped into #3 breaky overall (#2 FM)
- Gains across the day with a 1.6 increase in drive, #1 in that timeslot again
- B105 up 0.1, gain of 1.5 in 25-39 but still sitting third in that demo
- Breaky off half a point to 9.7; the gap to MMM narrowed.
- MMM up 0.8 in breaky to 9.4
- 4BC off 1.2 overall
- Loss of 1.8 in breaky and mornings copped a 2.8 loss
- Magic (the old 4BH) had a very steady result
- ABC612 has the number #1 breaky show after gaining 0.9
- was fairly flat across most demos although lost 1.4 in 55-64
- triple j fairly steady
Mix has monstered this one by a clear mile. The station stole the #1 breaky spot from the ABC. Ironically, Triple M, which recently moved to a classic format (none of which was covered in this survey), went up.
- Mix has increased their lead in the market taking their 15.1 to 16.7
- Big increases in 25-34 (3.7) and 40-54 (3.5)
- Breakfast is steady and #1 overall, taking over from the ABC, solid increases throughout the day and up 3 points at nights
- Cruise has had a fairly flat survey dropping just 0.6, but the station has been overtaken by MMM
- Adelaide is still a tough one for SCA
- SAFM was down 0.6 overall, 0.3 in breaky and copped a 1.7 loss in the 25-39 demo
- Triple M, went up 2.2.
- The breaky show went up 1.5 and there were solid increases across the day including a 2.4 jump in arvos
- Nova has overtaken Fiveaa to be #2 in the market
- Breaky and daytime shifts were flat
- The station went up 0.9 in 25-39 and has a substantial lead in that demo
- ABC891 took another hit and lost 1.3 overall
- Breakfast shed 2.2 and lost the #1 spot to Mix
- triple j’s book was fairly flat, the station lost some 18-24s and gained some 25-39s
There wasn't a lot of movement in Perth, most stations stayed pretty flat. Notably, 92.9s breaky jumped a point. It's still pretty low, but starting to show signs of growth.
- Mix94.5 still clear number one, up 0.1 overall and still #1 FM breaky
- Also small increases across the day
- 92.9 gained a point in breaky but remains #4 FM breaky
- Pretty flat for Nova, down 0.5 in breaky but still #2 FM breaky
- 96FM breaky up 0.7, still third FM breaky
- 2 point increases in 18-24 and 25-39 demos
- 6PR flat as a tack
- 6IX lost 0.9 in breaky and now on a 3.6 share; 5.1 overall
- Despite dropping 2.5 in 25-39, triple j is still the clear #1 station for 18-39
- Still the #2 station overall
- A flat book for ABC 720; still has the #1 breaky show