Social Scorecard: Radio’s top social posts this week
You’ve probably seen that meme ‘math/confused lady’ a billion times all over Facebook. Yep, the one with the equation overlay.
That’s how I feel when someone asks me about the best time to post on social media.
Timing can either make your break your content and can affect your overall engagement. Post too little or too often, you risk loosing your audience. Push great content at the wrong time? Wasted opportunity, which usually is a result of poor planning and zero strategy.
So how do you find out that golden time to post?
Know how and where to go to pull this crucial data before working on your scheduling. Always test content and pull statistics that demonstrate specific days and times to help you understand your traffic.
Facebook – Head to Insights and click on Posts. This will show you some solid data and times on the popular times your audience is on your page.
Twitter – Click through to your Twitter Analytics dashboard and select Tweets. You’ll be able to specify a time period and see how many impressions your Tweets received.
Instagram – You’ll be able to spot the Insights button in the top right hand corner of your screen as you look at your Profile. There you can spot data on impressions, reach and website clicks to your website.
Consider time zones
Study your online demographic stats to really get an understanding of where your audience on social media is geographically located. This gives you the info you need to be able to target their time zone accordingly.
Best times to post
Use this info and purely a guide. Refer to your own analytics and experiment until you find the right formula that works best for your platforms.
- Save you funny stuff for Fridays.
- Evergreen content for later in the week and weekends
- Saturdays and Sundays between 12-1pm
- Thursdays and Fridays between 1-4pm
- Wednesdays at 3pm
- Wednesdays at about lunchtime and between 5-6pm are the best times to post because they fall during work meal breaks.
- Monday through to Friday between 12-3pm and at 5pm
- Engagement is at it’s highest through the week. Post on Mondays and Thursdays anytime so long as it’s not between 3-4pm.
- Try posting videos any day between 9pm-8am.
Our top picks this week come from the Hit Network, Triple M Great Southern and Nova 106.9.
1. Hit Network’s Hamish and Andy – Facebook: “Here’s a message from your CEO…”
Certainly helps when you are the modern kings of radio comedy. Nailed a great mix of slick footage and candid improv but the most clever part? The video length is only 1 minute 40 seconds. Perfect length to make an impact and to get great engagement.
2. Nova 106.9’s Ash, Kip and Luttsy – Facebook: “Thank you JT”
Nova capitalised on one of Australia’s biggest sporting events and kicked off a clever activation that reached beyond their local demographic. The video drums up emotion and drives action.
3. Triple M Great Southern – Facebook: “What do you get a 100 year old for their birthday?”
Love how laid back this feels from a video perspective. It’s genuine, funny and very sweet. Got me wanting to cuddle 100 year old Vera, just like everyone else!
To submit your content to Radio Today’s Social Scorecard, send us an inbox message via our Facebook page.
Social Scorecard is compiled exclusively for Radio Today by Jess Frangelli.