Petition to save ABC’s 7.45am news bulletin closes in on 12K signatures
The ABC recently axed its flagship 7.45am radio news bulletin as part of a new five-year strategic plan following budget cuts, but many thousands are unhappy with the decision.
The changes to the national broadcaster last week saw as many as 250 jobs cut across most areas, with 350 casual staff offered permanent positions, with managing director David Anderson confirming the 7.45am radio news bulletin would be replaced by a five-minute bulletin at 8:00am.
Now a change.org petition to save the bulletin is gathering momentum, with almost 12,000 signatures pushing to save the bulletin since the petition launched on June 25.
The 7.45am news bulletin has run for around 80 years and attracts around 430K listeners daily, and is known for beginning with the ABC’s iconic Majestic Fanfare.
“We’re battling a pandemic, a recession, social unrest, an evolving cold war, a US election and our own political shenanigans – we need more coverage not less,” said petition founder Brett de Hoedt, former 3AK broadcaster and host of The Hardest Word podcast.
The changes have been made following a budget freeze from the Morrison Government, leaving an $84 million shortfall. The petition points out that the savings “come at a great cost to the people who fund the ABC and we demand the decision is reversed.”
“Some people have started their day with the 7.45 bulletin their entire adult life – how many radio programs can claim that?” said de Hoedt.
“The saving is relatively measley. For the cost of a couple of houses we’re trashing a taxpayer-funded icon that keeps the citizens informed and the bastards honest.”
The embattled ABC recently paid out $12 million to over 1,900 underpaid current and former casual workers, and entered into an Enforceable Undertaking with the Fair Work Ombudsman.