Learning and Reading
I have to confess two things:
1. I love to read and enjoy learning about people, their stories and improving my skills
2. I’m a HUGE fan of US sales trainers Jeffrey Gitomer and Zig Ziglar
With that confession in mind let’s start this article on great books to help you learn and grow with a quote from Gitomer, who describes what all successful sales people should do. He says “Your job is to meet the right people and read the right books.”
In that vein here’s my list of the 13 “right books” that any successful sales manager or sales person should have on their shelf (or in their tablet) to help excel in your role. The list contains some classics as well as more contemporary titles.
- “Little Red Book of Selling” and “21.5 Unbreakable Laws of Selling” by Jeffrey Gitomer
- “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George Samuel Clason
- “Welcome to Sales Management: The First 90 Days” by Mark White
- “Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill & W. Clement Stone
- “25 habits of Highly Successful Sales People” by Stephan Shiffman
- “The Greatest Salesman in the World” by Og Mandino
- “In Search of Excellence” by Tom Peters
- “How to Win Friends & Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
- “The Accidental Sales Manager” and “The Accidental Sales Person” by Chris Lytle
- “See You at the Top” by Zig Ziglar
- “The Million Dollar Media Rep” by Michael Guld
All of these books are still in print if you want a hard copy or via Amazon or Fishpond in digital versions. So with Christmas around the corner why not grab one or two to read while you are taking a break?
Note for sales managers: Give each of your team one of these books as a Christmas “thank you”.
I’ll leave the last word Zig Ziglar and he had this to say about reading: “Rich people have small TV's and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TV's.”
Stephen Pead is a media industry sales and marketing veteran of 30 years with significant experience in sales, sales management and general management. He is based in Sydney and specialises in providing training and coaching for salespeople and sales managers.
He can be contacted at [email protected]