Vance Joy take out Hottest 100 top spot
triple j's Hottest 100 has finished for another year with Vance Joy taking out the top spot with Riptide. You can see the full list of what made it below. To the stats ……
- 5,856 registered Hottest 100 parties in 87 countries around the world.
- The triple j website had 594,000 visitors and over 3 million page views on the day, with 59% from mobiles.
- triple j Facebook ticked over to 715,000 fans during the countdown.
- The Facebook post announcing the number 1 song has had 30,000+ likes, 2238 shares and 2842 comments with an estimated 110,000 engaged users.
- On top of that, there were 33,628 tweets for #hottest100 and 18,563 photos via instagram and twitter.
- All up, 173,658 people voted in the Hottest 100 with an estimated millions more listening on the day.
See more stats below. You can also see all the photos and discussion from the day here.
triple j’s Music Director Richard Kingsmill says of the number 1 song:
“Vance Joy’s ‘Riptide’ is a first for the Hottest 100 in a couple of respects. We've never had a winning song from an artist who is so new that they've not even had an album to their name yet. It's also the first #1 to have been written on a ukulele. After its first airing in March, the simple charm and endearing vulnerability of ‘Riptide’ stayed with listeners throughout the rest of 2013. But even as it did, it was still in the shadows of the world conquering ‘Royals’ and ‘Get Lucky’. Few picked it to trump either of those. But it has, and deservingly so, become our 11th Australian #1. Now we wait excitedly for that album to arrive!”
With hot favourite Lorde missing out on the top spot, comedy team Stepmates (which include members Will and Woody from 92.9) were prepared for the event and released this video immediately after the upset. Great seize the moment and one they were obviously hoping would happen.