Alan Jones under the microscope as advertiser backlash continues

Staff Writer

“I just wonder whether Scott Morrison is going to be fully briefed to shove a sock down her throat.”

Following tasteless comments about New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, the Alan Jones breakfast show is now officially under review.

According to a new report in The Sydney Morning Herald, Macquarie Media chairman Russell Tate wrote to advertisers and advised them that Jones’ words “fell below the community standards expected of us as [a] broadcaster”.

It follows intense scrutiny and backlash from various groups, and a boycott by advertisers that could have already cost the network more than $1 million according to SMH media sources.

“This incident has brought into sharp focus the need for all Macquarie Media broadcasters to ensure that the debate they bring to the microphone and the words they use are, at all times, respectful and reflect the standards expected today by our listeners, our clients, and the wider community,” he wrote.

The timing couldn’t be worse for Macquarie Media, either. It’s currently in advanced negotiations with Nine Entertainment Co reportedly worth $114 million.

Nine already own 54% of the AM radio network with ambitions to acquire the remaining 46%.

According to SMH journalist Jennifer Duke, the boycott – which was led by social media activist groups Mad F–king Witches and Sleeping Giants Oz – has resulted in more than 100 brands distancing themselves from Sydney’s 2GB Breakfast Show.

Comment Form

Your email address will not be published.

Recent comments (5)
Post new comment
Rod Prendergast
13 Sep 2019 - 4:20 pm

This virtue signalling by a select few was dealt with weeks ago ‘Staff Writer’! There are People who are loyal listeners like me and my 54 FB Business Pages who will simply boycott the Snowflakes and send them a message that Free Speech is alive and well. And we won’t use ME Bank, buy a Koala Mattress nor go to an Anytime Fitness Gym. Gillete tried this with their WOKE BS and lost a fortune. When will #Leftards get it? The moaning minority who scream the loudest aren’t even listeners. They simply despise conservatives. Yet they generally have no money either. So it’s hilarious because I do & wont spend a cent with the virtue signallers!

Paul Harvey
13 Sep 2019 - 5:36 pm

Cynical comment, but are Macquarie Media becoming ‘holier than thou’ in an attempt to move Jones on and save lots of $$$$ and only have 1 $4 million man?
How many years have they supported whatever he’s done and said, and banked the profits, and now he needs monitoring??
Puleeeze at least be honest with motives.

13 Sep 2019 - 8:29 pm

Rod Prendergast – hear, hear.
I’ve taken notice of many of these companies and won’t be giving them my business.
It’s really sad they take so much notice of leftist social media campaigns.
When will they realise that what happens on social media often does not equate to reality?

13 Sep 2019 - 10:30 pm

So pleased to see Nine cracking down on Macquarie loudmouths

Scott Thomson
14 Sep 2019 - 9:01 am

Watch Alan Jones’s ratings will sky rocket in the next survey.

Meanwhile the management of Macquarie Media continue to focus on creating new formats and programs which have no audience ie. Macquarie Sports Radio


See all