The Top 40 Most Powerful Men in Radio 2016
Following the Most Influential Women in Radio, Radio Today has put together a list of the Top 40 Most Powerful Men in Radio.
These are the executives, owners, managers and programmers who have the greatest influence in Australian radio in 2016.
In compiling this list Radio Today has taken into account the size and reach of markets, networks and stations, format competition, longevity as well as overall industry influence.
All of the Top 40 have considerable influence, power and input into their respective companies and the overall radio industry and also over listeners and advertisers.
They help shape the future of the Australian radio industry.
If there’s anyone we missed make sure you add their names and we look forward to your comments below.
1. Mitch Fifield – The Minister for Communications recently reviewed cross media ownership. At some stage will most likely oversee considerable change to the radio and media landscape.
2. Grant Blackley – CEO/ Managing Director SCA. The former CEO of the Ten network, he has been in the role for around 12 months now. Oversees the fortunes of Australia’s biggest radio group.
3. Ciaran Davis CEO of APN, owners of ARN’s diverse mix of radio and digital assets. Has been awarded CEO of the Year award and is recognised as the key man behind ARN’s turnaround in recent years.
4. Russell Tate – Executive Chairman MMN is at the helm of the merged Macquarie radio / Fairfax radio group which includes stations 2GB, 2UE, 3AW, 2CH and Magic. The largest commercial talk radio network in Australia.
5. Lachlan Murdoch – Executive Chairman Nova Entertainment, which includes the Nova and Smooth networks. The media heir and businessman is also Executive Co-Chairman of News Corp.
6. Michael Mason – Director of ABC Radio. Oversees capital city Local Radio stations, triple j, Classic FM, RN (formerly Radio National) and the digital stations Grandstand, Double J, triple j Unearthed, ABC Jazz, ABC Country and ABC Extra
7. Tony Kendall – CEO ARN the former sales director of Bauer Media and CEO of Bauer’s magazine division. Tony is in his first year in radio taking the reigns around a year ago.
8. Adam Lang – Chief Operating Officer Macquarie Media, which includes 2GB, 3AW, 2UE . Formerly from Southern Cross Austereo, Adam oversees one of the biggest line-ups of talk radio talent in the country.
9. John Kelly – Chief Operating Officer Southern Cross Austereo formerly held the role of Chief Finanical Officer at the Ten television network. Has been in the role less than a year.
10. Peter Bush – Chairman Southern Cross Austereo, formerly Director and on the Board of Nine Entertainment and a former CEO of McDonalds Australia.
11. = Duncan Campbell – Group Content Director of ARN. Under his leadership, ARN has previously achieved #1 FM stations in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
11. = Paul Jackson – Group Program Director of Nova Entertainment – Oversees the content of the Nova and Smooth brands including Sydney’s new #1 and equal #2 FM’s. Was previously at Global Radio and Virgin Radio.
12. Guy Dobson – Chief Creative Officer at Australia’s largest radio group SCA. Has previously held the roles of Triple M Network Program Director and Executive Director, recently moving into the newly created role.
13. Chris Scaddan – the former triple J National Content Director is now ABC Radio – Head of Music. Chris oversees all music content on ABC Radio stations and platforms around Australia.
14. Jeremy Millar – Head of Strategy and Transformation for ABC Radio. With 60 ABC stations, including 51 regional stations and 9 metropolitan.
15. = Dave Cameron – Head of National Content and Talent Development now oversees national/network shows and new talent development for SCA. He programmed FOX during its most successful period.
15. = Mike Fitzpatrick – Triple M Network Content Director. He’s CD of SCA Melbourne’s number 2 FM, Triple M and oversees the content of the Triple M Network.
16. Grant Cameron – Grant Broadcasters regional radio pioneers, Grants operates 55 regional stations across Australia and the Radio Sales Network. Grant is on CRA’s Board of Directors.
17. Kevin Blyton – Capital Radio Group. Capital owns and operates regional radio stations across NSW, WA and Victoria. Inductee into the Australian Commercial Radio Hall of Fame.
18. Michael Harvey – COO and CFO Australian Radio Network was previously CFO at ARN and has been a Director of Commercial Radio Australia and CEO of Fox Studios..
19. John Singleton – Shareholder / Owner of MMN owners of 2UE, 2GB, 3AW . He is a major shareholder of the merged entity, which controls the leading commercial talk radio stations in Australia.
20. Derek Bargwanna – KIIS network Content Director, heads up the programming of ARN’s KIIS Sydney and KIIS Melbourne. One of the key drivers behind KIIS’s success.
21. Bill Caralis – Owner of the Super Radio Network one of the largest privately held radio network with 36 stations across NSW. Last years position 45.
22. Jay Walkerdon – General Manager / Content Director Nova Brisbane the former Group Programmer at Global Media and MCM has overseen the content at Brisbane’s new #1 station Nova 106.9 for over 5 years.
23. Gary Roberts – Managing Director Nova Perth. A radio stalwart, Gary has been at the helm of leading Perth radio stations.
24. = Mickey Maher – Group Regional Content Director Southern Cross Austereo. He has the responsibility for the content of over 70 regional radio stations around Australia.
24. = Sam Cavangah – National Executive Producer for Southern Cross Austereo and also Executive Producer – The Hamish & Andy Show. Sam is responsible for building new shows, talent coaching, national content executions for the network.
25. Adrian Brine – FOXFM Content Director Melbourne’s number 1 FM radio station. Formerly Content Director at SCA’s Hit105 Brisbane.
26. Mark Klemmens – Managing Director of Profile Management, steers the careers of top radio talent including Hamish and Andy, Fifi Box and Michael Wipfli.
27. Rick Lenarcic – Executive Director Regional Operations SCA – previously was General Manager for the southern arm of SCA radio. He now oversees over 70 regional stations.
28. Kevin Whyte – Managing Director of Token, has a long history of managing key radio talent including Rove McManus, Merrick Watts, Dave Hughes, Dave Thornton.
29. Shaun Heron – Content Director Nova 96.9 Sydney. Former Promotions Director, has been overseeing content at Nova Sydney’s #2 FM for around 2 years.
30. Peter Clay – Smooth Network Content Director Nova Entertainment, oversees the content of Smooth Melbourne and Sydney’s number 1 FM station.
31. Charlie Fox – Sydney ARN Content Director at leading stations WSFM and The Edge, formerly PD and Music Director at Triple M Sydney.
32. Jamie Angel – Triple M Sydney Content Director, oversees the content at SCA ’s Triple M. Former FOX and 2day CD.
33. Rohan Brown – Nova 100 Content Director, he’s charged with turning around the ratings at Nova Melbourne.
34. Barry Drinkwater – ARN Content Director at 97.3, Brisbane’s ratings leader which has topped the ratings 24 times.
35. David Rymer – new Content Director at SCA’s Triple M Brisbane, recently moving from Hot Tomato Gold Coast. Has previously programmed 92.9 Perth and Triple M Sydney.
36. The Patterson and Handbury Families – Joint owners of the ACE radio network since 1984. The group has 13 stations throughout regional Victoria.
37. Hans Torv – Executive Chairman Hot Tomato Gold Coast, former breakfast announcer at WSFM.
38. Matthew Eggleston Content Director Hit105 Brisbane, a former Music Director at FOX and 2Day.
39. Matt Anderson 2day Content Director Matt Anderson 2Day FM Content Director. His first year in Sydney Matt was previously Hit Network CD and Assistant CD at NZME.
40. = Dean Kesby / Mark Hyland / Ross Turner / Allan Cameron – Grant Broadcasters Group Program Directors covering regional NSW, Victoria, Queensland and Tasmania.