Mel Greig: ‘I wanted Royal prank call edited’
Mel Greig has spoken to Seven’s Sunday Night program and it has been revealed she tried to have the infamous Royal prank call edited.
It’s been 18 months since Greig and Mike Christian posed as the Queen and Prince Charles and called London’s King Edward VII Hospital.
Their call was transferred to the ward of a pregnant Kate Middleton and the pair was given private details of the Duchess’ condition following treatment for acute morning sickness.
The scoop made international headlines and nurse Jacintha Saldanha, who answered and transferred the prank call, killed herself days after it was broadcast.
She left behind a note blaming her death on Greig and Christian.
Greig said she had been worried the call would cause embarrassment for the hospital staff, but her request to dub in staff members’ voices in place of the nurses’ voices before it went to air fell on deaf ears.
"I feel like a failure as a human being," Greig said.
"I am ashamed of myself. I should have tried harder to not let that prank call air."
Greig also revealed her family was targeted after the incident: “They would call my mum and say ‘an eye for an eye – she died… and now you have to die’."
Last December, Greig’s former employer Southern Cross Austereo released a statement which said: “Mel Greig wishes to make it clear that as an announcer she was not responsible for the decision to broadcast the hoax call. Prior to the call being broadcast she made suggestions for changes to be made to the recording of the call. 2Day FM decided that the call should be broadcast without alteration.”
Watch part one of the interview:
Here is part two: