Casual News and Sport Journalists
Nine is a leading multi-platform media network, engaging audiences, including across our Radio Business which is home to Sydney’s number one station – 2GB. You can be part of the team that Sydney turns to for breaking news, opinions and information on what’s happening locally, nationally and around the globe. 2GB is home to Walkley Award winning journalists, Australia’s best-known commentators and the most influential broadcasters: Ben Fordham, Ray Hadley, Deborah Knight and Brooke Corte. We lead the way in news and sport coverage, and are proud to host Wide World of Sports. You will truly be working with and learning from top journalists in the industry.
If Sydney is talking about it, we’re talking about it – and that’s why you don’t want to miss this great opportunity!
About the role
Based in Pyrmont, the heart of 2GB, we are looking for expressions of interest for Casual News and Sport Journalists to join our passionate and ambitious team of journalists. Roles within 2GB offer you not only career opportunities in radio, but being part of the broader Nine network, greater exposure to our other leading platforms.
In this role, you will prepare, edit and present live news and sport bulletins on Sydney’s premier news and talk radio station and our national network of stations. You will report to the News Director and no two days will look the same, but to give you an idea, duties could include:
• Generating, researching, editing and presenting stories that are accurate and legally sound with correct spelling and grammar
• Contributing to setting the agenda with ideas and find breaking news and sport content
• Presenting live, time-out bulletins as well as recorded bulletins
• Making editorial decisions on news and sports coverage
• Conducting interviews with a variety of newsmakers
• Understanding and complying with media law and industry codes of conduct and regulations
• Working a range of shifts including weekends
• Taking direction from the Sydney News Director as well as shift editors
We know you’re sold, so enough about us, let’s talk about you.
You will have the energy and enthusiasm to inform and entertain, and promptly attend to the needs of our most valuable assets: our listeners. Your skills include, but are not limited to:
• Knowledge and passion for news, current affairs and sport
• The ability to write fast, accurate copy and meet rolling deadlines under pressure
• Strong grammar and research skills
• Experience in radio or television
• An understanding of media and broadcast law
• Flexible availability to work nights, weekends, during the day
• Ability to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline focused environment
• Excellent communication skills and a can-do attitude, as well as ability to thrive in a team based environment
So if you are looking for your next media opportunity, and keen to join the team at Sydney’s number one radio station, let us know you are out there and express your interest today.
Nine Radio embraces all aspects of diversity & inclusion and is committed to creating a workplace which reflects the incredibly diverse customers, audiences and communities we serve.