Ausmusic Month begins at Triple J with the J Award nominees release
It’s AusMusic month all November on Triple J and you can now see if your favourite artists made it into this year’s J Award nominees lists.
Celebrating the best in Australian Music through five major categories, 2021 marks 17 years of J Awards.
The 5 major J Award categories are:
- Australian Album of the Year
- Double J Artist of the Year
- Unearthed artist of the year
- Australian Music video of the year
- The Done Good Award
The winners of the 17th annual J Awards will be announced throughout the day on November 18th.
J Award nominees have turned an extremely challenging 18 months for the music industry into an opportunity to continue being creative and sharing their music with Australia.
2021 J AWARD NOMINEES:
- Amyl and The Sniffers – Comfort To Me
- The Avalanches – We Will Always Love You
- Baker Boy – Gela (pictured)
- Genesis Owusu – Smiling With No Teeth
- Gretta Ray – Begin To Look Around
- Holy Holy – Hello My Beautiful World
- Middle Kids – Today We’re The Greatest
- Ruby Fields – Been Doin’ It For A Bit
- RÜFÜS DU SOL – Surrender
- Tones And I – Welcome To The Madhouse
- Amyl and The Sniffers
- The Avalanches
- Emma Donovan & The Putbacks
- Hiatus Kaiyote
- Hope D
- King Stingray
- Teenage Joans
- Genesis Owusu – ‘The Other Black Dog’ Dir. Riley Blakeway
- Jerome Farah – ‘Concrete Jungle Fever’ Dir. Sanjay De Silva
- King Stingray – ‘Milkumana’ Dir. King Stingray & Sam Brumby
- Triple One – ‘BLOOD RAVE’ Dir. Serwah Attafuah
- Ziggy Ramo – ‘Little Things [Ft. Paul Kelly]’ Dir. Ziggy Ramo
Done Good Award
The humorously named, Triple J Done Good J Award recognises people in Australian music scene who have gone above-and-beyond and done something real good this year.
- Concrete Surfers: booking gigs at local footy games to prove a point
- Digi Youth Arts: launching the inaugural BLAKSOUND music conference
- Jack River: sparking the Our Soundtrack Our Stories movement
- Jaguar Jonze: advocating for systemic change and the support of abuse victims in the Australian music industry
- Support Act: mental health services and COVID relief for the Australian music industry
Other significant dates for the month of November are:
- National Indigenous Music Awards (14 Nov)
- Ausmusic T-Shirt Day (19 Nov)
To celebrate the beginning of Ausmusic Month Triple J and Double J will be playing all Australian music all day right up until 1:00am.
Triple J, Double J, Triple J Unearthed, Rage and ABC TV will be celebrating Australian Music all month, so tune in for the latest and greatest in Aussie tunes.
On socials, TikTok is also getting into the Ausmusic month act.
TikTok’s Ausmusic Month hub will spotlight emerging and chart-topping artists, promote a series of live streamed music performances, showcase curated playlists of First Nations music and classic Australian tracks, and even feature a mesmerising creative effect – so music lovers can really immerse themselves and celebrate month-long.
The Ausmusic Month hub can be found via the Discover page in the TikTok app from 1 November – 30 November.
Companies that use on hold music are also getting into the spirit of AusMusic month, especially now that he pandemic has stopped so many artists touring. Online bank ME is switching up the tunes for customers who may have to wait on hold.
ME has been playing Australia’s hottest music since 2019 and will update its playlist with ten new tracks featuring a diverse range of up-and-coming and established local talent, including LGBTQI+ and First Nations artists. Listen out for:
1. Jack River – Fool’s Gold
2. The Babe Rainbow – Ready for Tomorrow
3. G Flip – Not Even in Vegas
4. Isabella Manfredi – Jealousy
5. Gang of Youths – The Angel of 8th Ave
6. Vance Joy – Missing Piece
7. Budjerah – Higher
8. The Merindas – We Sing Until Sunrise
9. Tones & I – Cloudy Day
10. Birdz – Fly
ME CEO Martine Jager is a supporter of Aussie Music. “As we all know, COVID-19 has cancelled many tours, festivals and venues and put careers on hold, so we want to do our part in supporting this vibrant industry and brighten everyone’s day. We know that hanging out on hold isn’t necessarily how you’d like to spend your time, but with awesome on-hold music, you might just wish to hold a little longer. ME’s full playlist is available on Spotify.”