Nova’s Podquest: 7 tips to woo the judges
NOVA Entertainment’s new Podquest initiative is designed to discover and support new and emerging podcasters.
Podquest allows promising audio content creators an opportunity to advance their craft through financial grants as well as access to NOVA Entertainment’s production facilities, technical know-how and distribution channels.
The winning applicant will utilise NOVA Entertainment’s expertise and production capabilities to create a five-part podcast series for the Nova Podcast platform.
NOVA says an internal and external industry panel that includes Adam Martin, Acast’s chief content officer, and an international podcast expert, will judge submissions.
Here are seven helpful tips to make your podcast stand out from the rest:
- Be authentic. If you’re passionate about donuts but think true crime is where the audience and money are, make a show about donuts!
- Mix it up. No 45-minute monologues. Incorporate various voices and different ambient sounds. Capture the distinct sound of where you record.
- Edit. You could use various paid-for audio editing software or a simple free app. Go Google options but make sure you record more than you end up using. Editing is where the magic happens.
- Don’t eat or drink. No one likes listening to someone else, let alone a relative stranger, slurping a pigeon smoothie.
- Think about your desired audience. Your show could be daily and three minutes long with people consuming it on Twitter or Facebook. Alternatively, it could be 25 minutes long and aimed at the caffeine deprived commuter.
- Time. Podquest is about uncovering new innovative voices and audiences that aren’t already listening to podcasts. So think 5 to 25 minutes not 60 to 90.
- Think season. Commuting to a daily or weekly show is a big commitment. Don’t be afraid of thinking about a season of six episodes, gathering feedback, and growing from there.
Up to 10 finalists will be revealed by May 26 with the ultimate podcast superstar being crowned on June 2. Budding podcasters have until May 19 to upload an episode via the Podquest website.